Mariinsky Theatre Guest Soloist
• Prize-winner at the XVII International Tchaikovsky Competition (Moscow – St Petersburg, 2023; 1st prize and Gold Medal)
• Prize-winner at the 17th Montserrat Caballé International Singing Competition (Madrid, 2022; 1st prize and special prize)
• Prize-winner at the 72nd Giovan Battista Viotti International Music Competition (Vercelli, Italy, 2022; 1st prize and Audience Award)
• Prize-winner at the 1st International Competition for Young Tenors The Voice of Kamen (Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 2022; 1st prize)
• Prize-winner at the 5th Éva Marton International Singing Competition (Budapest, 2021; 3rd prize and special prize)
Jihoon Son was born in 1990 in Seoul. In 2016 he graduated from the Korean National University of Arts (Seoul; class of Simon Yang), and in 2022 – from the Bayerische Theaterakademie August Everging (Munich) and the Hochschule für Musik und Theater München (class of Andreas Schmidt).
He performs roles such as Tamino (Die Zauberflöte), Nemorino (L’elisir d’amore), Lysander (Britten’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream), Rodolfo (La bohème), Ruodi (Guillaume Tell), Beppe (Donizetti’s Rita), Conte Alberto (L’occasione fa il ladro), Prunier (La rondine) and Fay Pu (Christian Jost’s Rote Laterne), Schubert’s vocal cycle Winterreise and the tenor solo in Orff’s Carmina Burana. Has appeared at the Prinzregententheater (Munich), the Brandenburger Theater, the Kodály Centre (Pécs, Hungary), the Stadttheater Klagenfurt (Austria) and the Seoul Arts Center among other venues.
In 2023 he made his Mariinsky Theatre debut, taking part in the International Tchaikovsky Competition and an autumn concert of its prize-winners; in September of the same year the singer performed the tenor role in Verdi’s Requiem at the theatre.
Information for October 2023